“Take it from blogger Samantha Wennerstrom of Could I Have That, who recently realized the living room and dining room of her Spanish-style Santa Barbara home were in need of a winter pick-me-up. “The rooms were looking dark and dreary, so I wanted to transform them with something clean, refreshing, and rich to reflect the cozy season,” she explains. For that, the blogger teamed up with renowned Los Angeles–based rug purveyor Lawrence of La Brea, known for its rich collections of unique, refined rugs from around the world. Check out her style tips below and learn the five things you should check off your list before you shop for a rug.”
5 KEY TIPS FOR FINDING THE PERFECT RUG:
1. Measure: Don’t estimate the size of your room. Take the time to measure exactly where your rug will lie, because there’s nothing worse than buying a rug and finding out that it doesn’t fit.
2. Colors: Consider the existing light, the colors of your walls, and the hue of your furniture. “I was surprised to see how a lighter rug complemented our table, making the wood stand out more,” says Wennerstrom.
3. Artwork: “Artwork is a great way to mirror the colors in your rug,” explains Wennerstrom. “If you’re still stumped as to which palette to choose, try pulling in contrasting colors from key wall décor in the room.”
4. Vintage-to-Modern Ratio: Pair a vintage rug with modern furniture to create a sense of balance. You’ll find that the patterns of an antique rug can be compatible with more modern big-ticket pieces (and vice versa).
5. The Door Test: Size and fit are important. But don’t skip the entry points of the room in question. It’s always a smart idea to consider where the door swings open in a room, because some Moroccan rugs won’t fit underneath them.
We are so excited to be featured in Curbed Los Angeles “The best furniture and antique stores in LA, mapped“. Check it out to see the amazing shops that made the cut!
Sarah Walker Design Associates
SWDA was enlisted to create the interiors and exterior living spaces of this brilliant Taalman Architecture project. The steel, glass and concrete home, sits on the side of the mountain overlooking Santa Barbara and the ocean. The clients love to entertain family and friends, and were committed to the ideal of true indoor outdoor living. They also, wanted a warm and rustic feel, rather than the typical austere choices that are typically made with this type of architecture.
Sarah Walker Design Associates , Inc.
323/793-5000 – email@example.com
Carolina Tazedjian Reistetter
323/350-4470 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out some Lawrence of La Brea homes featured in Shay Mitchell’s beautiful Spanish Style home.
Featured in MyDomaine Office in Los Angeles